23 May, 2013

Leaving but never Forgetting

On May 18th I graduated from my undergraduate Alma Mater: William Jewell College.  


Receiving my diploma from the President of William Jewell College, Dr. Sallee.
Photo credit: Kyle Rivas


I have been blessed to get to know the Sallees over the past four years.
Photo Credit Kyle Rivas
High School was not what I would have liked it to be so it was a humbling experience to attend a new school where I could not only be myself but also feel at home.  At Jewell, we are a community and it is a community that I am going to miss after graduation.  Never before have I been surrounded by such an amazing group of peers and mentors to guide and mold me into the person I have become over the past four years.  

During graduation with my fellow graduates!
Having a last name that starts with a "B" put me right up in front for the action!
Photo credit: Kyle Rivas

On my last day at Jewell I wore one of my favorite William Jewell College shirts, had breakfast with my favorite senior women, engaged in conversation about evolution and educational reform, had lunch with my favorite mentors, and took my last final at this beautiful school.  The reality had set in that the next Fall I would not be returning to my home upon a hill but rather onto other campuses across the country.  On this day, in particular, it was difficult to hold back the tears and I often did so unsuccessfully.   It was my last day before graduation and I was a big ball of emotions.  

While I'm going to miss it dearly I also know this school has prepared me thoroughly for what is on the path ahead of me.  Jewell has a funny way of doing that sometimes.  

There are far better things ahead than any we leave behind. ~ C.S. Lewis

I love this school.



Here are some great photos from the day!





Cardinal is her color; 
Jewell is her name. 
High upon a hill she stands, 
And we will fight to keep her fame. 
Loyalty, allegiance, Alma Mater true, 
We will love thee, serve thee forever, 
William Jewell.


Photos are courtesy of Kyle Rives or my sister, Roberta Harvey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...